Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fun Run

Let the count down begin! I am not talking about the start of the college football season, but for those interested, that count is at 87 days until UT plays their season opener against UT-Martin, but I am not counting or anything. No, I am talking about the count down to the 4th of July Fun Run and Walk put on by the Rotary Club. The 4th of July Fun Run and Walk is a perfect event to bring family and friends together, but also a goal for those starting exercise programs!

But why exercise? My recent articles have involved on how not to get injured, but are you getting injured by not exercising? I mean, is it dangerous to be a “couch potato?” Before I answer that question, I wish to ask one to you. What is the hardest position for your low back: sitting, standing, or lying down? Give up? Sitting is the most damaging to your back! The pressure on our discs, the padding between each bone in the spine experiences twice the amount of pressure in sitting than standing. Think of a jelly donut and adding twice the amount of weight to the top of the donut…the jelly is going to spill out. While sitting with lumbar support and avoiding prolonged “slumped” positions can help reduce the sitting risk, most all exercises involve the trunk muscles. So by exercising, you not only get out of the sitting position so much, but also improve the trunk muscles that support your back.

So if you decide to spend less time on the couch and get ready for the upcoming 4th of July Fun Run and Walk, I applaud you! If you are new to exercise, don’t forget that you have many resources in the area to help you safely set exercise goals such as certified physical trainers, certified athletic trainers and licensed physical therapists.


Zach Sutton, DPT, MS, OCS

No comments:

Post a Comment